This is a sequel to Today Tonight Tomorrow, with Rowan and Neil moving on to separate colleges after finally getting together just as high school ended. I liked the book ok, but wasn’t blown away. Part of me felt like I wasn’t the target audience (I’m too old), but I loved the first book, so I’m not sure that’s it. It’s probably more of a challenge to write a staying-in-love book than a falling-in-love book. It’s also tough to write a love story where the two main characters are barely around each other. I felt the first two thirds of the book were just so-so, and they dragged a little to me. Neil pushing everyone away after getting let’s from his incarcerated father was tough to watch. I liked the last third, when Neil was making more active decisions and Rowan had settled into school a little more. I liked Neil’s roommate and his golden retriever personality. (7.75)
This was a quirky read. I liked how unexpected things had a voice, like a baseball hat and especially the cat, Pancake, even if Pancake is a harbinger of death. PJ Halliday is lucky enough to win the lottery, but unlucky enough to suffer the worst kind of loss - the death of his teenage daughter. She drowned in a cranberry bog, and PJ’s family fell apart soon after. He drinks to cope, and relies on his (living) daughter, ex-wife, and her steady boyfriend to keep him from completely crumbling. When his estranged brother’s children need a guardian, it’s like a second chance for PJ. He also learns that his high school sweetheart’s husband just died, so he decides to take the kids on a road trip to the Tender Hearts Retirement Center, where she lives, to try to win her heart. His daughter, Sophie, and Pancake join them too. The two kids, Ollie and Luna, are grieving the loss of their parents and getting used to PJ and Sophie as guardians. Luna has her own motive for the road trip - wa...
Comments
Post a Comment